Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Too Busy To Be A Sheep


We have heard the parable that Jesus told about the sheep and the goats in order to help His followers understand the importance of giving to those in need.  Jesus made it clear that by ignoring the problems that we truly CAN do something about, we are ignoring Him. When we give to those who have no way of repaying us, we are giving to Him.  

Maybe, right now, you don’t feel you are in a place to help anyone. We sometimes find ourselves without margin in our lives, both with our money and our time. This is the issue that has been troubling me lately. I hear so many young parents feeling exhausted by their schedules. Not necessarily at work, but at home. They are so busy running their children to this practice and that game and this party and that lesson that they don’t even have time to parent; to sit at the table and enjoy a family meal; to have a leisurely evening riding bikes; to enjoy the fact that God gave them children to love and shape. Rather they are frustrated, short-tempered and not taking the needed time to coach and train their children as scripture clearly tells us is the essential task of every parent.

Why?  I keep asking that question and am not getting a satisfactory answer. Why do parents choose to involve their children in so many activities that there is no time for training or leisure or parental relaxation? Why do they stay so busy that there is no time to help those in need. Why do they fill their calendars so that they are constantly on the go and their homes are neglected? Can anyone give me a good explanation? What is this attraction of busyness that appears to be the most important thing in the lives our most of all these exhausted parents?

I am often drawn in by the simple life of the Amish around us. They are known for their keen sense of seeing a need in their community and rallying to meet the need. That would definitely put them among the sheep. From the time a child is born they will travel with their parent to the home of someone in need. Even before they are big enough to help, they are witnessing their parents giving of themselves. Their children grow up knowing that, whenever possible, they will go to the aid of others. That’s what they do. It becomes a rich part of their lifestyle.

I know the frailty of comparing our culture to the Amish culture because the differences are vast, however, our “progress” has taken our eyes off of what Jesus told His followers was of great importance… to love one another. To honor one another above ourselves. To feed the hungry. To visit the imprisoned. To clothe the naked. He told us to serve one another in love… but somehow we have come to believe that filling our days with keeping our children busy with hobbies, sports, lessons, etc. is what will bring them success in life. So we fill their days with these activities and what is the payoff?  Will they become successful athletes? Will they earn a scholarship? Will they gain fame and fortune? Maybe… “And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? (Matthew 16:26).

Parents, may I remind you that YOU are they one that God is trusting to raise your children to know His ways and follow Him. Don’t keep them so busy doing what the world sees as profitable that they don’t have the time and energy to invest in the lives of the people around them who could benefit a great deal from their compassion.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me… Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.  Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”   (from Matthew 25: 34-41).

God has prepared wonderful things beyond our imaginings for our children. It is our job to point them to those things by guiding them away from a “me” focus, to an “others” focus that will cause their life to have true meaning.





No comments:

Post a Comment