Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Going Deeper

I have a thing for trees. I love the things we can learn from them. I love the way the snow glistens on the branches in winter and the new buds full of promise in the spring. I love the variety of green in summer and, best of all the Masterpiece of color in the autumn. None of those lovely visions would be possible without roots. We don’t think about them. We don’t go looking for them, but they are there making growth and beauty possible.

Sunday Pastor Chris said something like, “You can have a great network of roots that span for several yards, but if those roots don’t go deep, when the storms come you can be easily uprooted.”  It made me think of my support system. How often do I rely on a job with a nice paycheck to keep me going? Or friends to pick me up when I am down? How many times have I leaned on my husband? Parents? Children? How long will it take me to figure out that real help comes from going deep in my faith by learning more about the only One who is deserving of my trust?

As a parent, we tend to scrutinize the friends our children want to be with. We notice quickly when they pick up undesirable behaviors and language that isn’t allowed in our home. We easily observe whining and begging that is new after a day spent with a rather spoiled child and we threaten that they better stop or they won’t be going back there to play!

 I wonder if my Heavenly Father is doing the same as He scrutinizes my relationships? Am I closing my ears to His warnings about their lifestyle, their priorities, their relationships? Or do I just enjoy them because they are fun and make me laugh and help me escape the craziness of everyday life? I think they make me a better person because they help me unwind and relax and have fun. After all, I deserve that!


As we begin a new year, let’s think about our circle of friends. Not so that we can dump anyone who isn’t following Jesus because we may be the one to bring them to Him. But, all of us should have at least one friend who will challenge us and help us to go deeper in our walk of faith. We need each other on this journey to the heart of God. We need accountability. We need the prayers of our friends. We need to tear into Scripture with someone that is hungry to understand the truth found there. Where do you find such a friend? Start by asking God to open those doors for you and make you aware of someone who may be looking for the same thing.  Maybe someone needs you to mentor them. Maybe there are people waiting for you to approach them. Pray, asking the Father who He wants in your life and He will provide. You will grow deeper with God in community. There will be no regrets. Reach out to someone this next week and start going deeper in your relationship with God!

No comments:

Post a Comment