Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Think*Practice*Follow


I have been familiar with the Philippians 4 passage that implores us to think about the positive and beneficial things; things that are true, praise worthy and admirable, but somehow I missed something until I was listening to the pastor read it on Sunday. I had always skipped over a crucial part of what Paul was saying. I knew that if we were to focus our thoughts on the things of God that we would find peace. Period. But, that's not the whole message. I was struck by a very important part of the instructions that is so critical to bring into our home.

After zeroing in on the truthful thoughts we are to allow into our mind to focus upon, Paul goes on to say, "Put into practice all you learned from me." How is it, that even though I have quoted this section of scripture for years, I had overlooked an important ingredient to finding peace. It isn't just what we think, it's what we practice. And not just what we practice, but deliberately practicing the things we have been taught by a good, solid mentor. It is a wonderful thing to have a mentor who knows the Word of God; who has walked with Jesus for years; who is mature in their faith and is growing closer to Him year after year. I hope you have that person in your life and I hope that you take advantage of all the wisdom they have to share.

But... what about your kids? Who is their mentor in the faith? Who can they look to for their spiritual formation? Is that something you are willing to pass off to the teachers at church? Their youth leader? Or is that something you should be responsible for? I would suggest to you, a godly parent that is pleasing to Jesus must be willing to be learning and teaching; growing and leading; spiritually mentoring their kids as a lifestyle.

It hit me like a ton of bricks that I could not have said to my kids, like Paul did to his spiritual kids, "Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me -- everything you heard from me and saw me doing..." and feel good about how they might behave! Maybe quite the opposite! Once again, I found myself wishing for a do-over. I wanted to go back in time and use the spiritual maturity I have gained since my kids left home and set a better example for them. It really made me look at myself and desire to be a better student, a more faithful servant, a gentler more merciful human for the sake of those who will come behind me.

Please don't wait until your kids are gone to draw closer to Jesus. Don't wait until your schedule is less crazy to find time to meditate on the truth that will bring freedom to your mind. Don't wait until you understand everything in the Bible to share it with your kids. Do what you can NOW and make some mistakes (like I did)... but DO move toward being a mentor for your kids TODAY. Be ready to tell them you are sorry when you mess up. Be humble and allow them to see that you are a student, learning and growing and making mistakes and even failing a few tests along the way. But, make being a godly mentor to your kids a critical priority in your life. You can't depend on anyone else to teach them the way you can, because they see you up close and personal and witness how you handle the tough places in life day after day. You have the best stage from which to demonstrate the love of God and His call to obedience to His Word.

Consider the fact that this formula for experiencing the peaceful presence of God involves what you think, what you practice and who you follow. In a time and place where anxiety is commonplace and peace is scarce, perhaps it's time for us to take seriously the advice of Paul and THINK POSITIVELY, PRACTICE DILIGENTLY, and FOLLOW FAITHFULLY so that our kids and grandkids have a good mentor to lead them.

No comments:

Post a Comment