Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Never Alone

I am sitting at a computer in the lobby of the hotel where I am staying in Big Sky, Montana. Out of my window I can see Lone Peak, the mountain my son was skiing down when he collided with a tree at about 25 mph. He was not alone on the Mountain that day. He was with friends, but the Friend that was with him that kept him from more serious injuries than a lacerated liver, punctured lung and 5 broken ribs has never left his side in all the years he has been away from my watchful eye.

I am ever so grateful that God protected him. I am also extremely grateful for the prayers that have been offered for him in all the days since the accident... however many that might be. I don't even know what day it is. Let's blame it on the altitude here!

I belong to a special family. Not a perfect family. We come in all shapes and sizes and have all sorts of history of unfortunate choices and warts and secrets. But, we are family because we are united by a belief that we are not alone. That each of us matters to a loving God who made us each for a purpose and has His hand on our lives. That family has reached out to me multiple times a day to check on Kyle and check on me. What a calming effect that has had on me through the hours since I got that phone call.

Kyle will heal. It will be a long process, but he will know every single day that he is here because the Head of this amazing family chose to give him another chance at life. He is already planning the slopes he will conquer next year... and I hope he will always remember the family that prayed him through this.

I am so thankful for you all. I am so thankful that my heritage is one that taught me the importance of belonging to a family of faith. I am so blessed to have known many "family" members who have so positively impacted my life... especially this week as I look at the grand view of snow covered mountains of Montana and do important things... like put socks and shoes on a grown man and remind him just how much he is loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment