Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Singing in the Rain

What happens in your mind when everything in life feels like it is crushing in on you and there is no Calgon available to whisk you away to where life is stress free, flowers are blooming, birds are singing and a cool breeze blows across your smiling face? I'm guessing your first thought isn't about how much you are loved by God. More than likely it's more like wondering why He has abandoned you in your time of need. Unfortunately, these thoughts are the default setting for many of us and they lead us down a short path to self-pity which is not even in the same hemisphere with reality.
Like King David reflects, in Psalm 13, we can easily find ourselves feeling rejected in the tough times. However, if you read to the end of his lament you find him zeroing in on the reality of God's undying love for him. Because David learned to live his life on a foundation of what is true, he was able to sing praise to God. The truth that sustained him was that God's love is enough ... no matter my circumstances.
At the risk of dating myself, it makes me think of a Gene Kelly song...
"I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's (Son's) in my heart
And I'm ready for love..."
It is a glorious feeling to be able to sing in the rain. Do you have any idea how much your ability to sing God's praise impacts the atmosphere in your home; how much influence your reaction to adversity has on your children? But being able to sing in the rain isn't just an ability to have a positive outlook. It is a foundational belief that God is good and that His plan for me is right, and I can trust Him and sing His praise even when life makes no sense at all.
Imagine the atmosphere your kids can grow up in, listening as you play songs of praise, singing along with a thankful heart even when life is hard. Imagine the trust they could develop in an unseen God because they hear you praising Him in the storm. Imagine them knowing that the storms in life are not something to fear but something to cherish because they draw us closer to the One who is shaping our hearts.
Tune your stereo to a station that plays music by Christian artists and learn the songs. They will come to you when you need them. Buy CDs for your kids that teach them songs they can sing to praise God for who He is. Music is a powerful tool that connects our heart to God. Use it!

"I will trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because You have rescued me.
I will sing to the Lord because He is good to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment