Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Connecting to Power

My dad, who I revere as a man who is closer to the heart of God than anyone I know, read my column last week. As he read about the importance of praying with your kids, letting them hear you pray, making it as natural as eating, he was reminded of his failure. He told me that he was always aware that praying for us, which was a constant thing for him, was not all he should be doing. He regrets that he didn’t let us hear him talking to God on our behalf.
As I listened to him speak I reflected back to all the times I saw him sitting on the edge of my bed, silent. I knew he was praying for me because I knew he was closely walking with God. His life reflected that he was a man who communed with God. When I grew up and had children I would catch him sitting on the edge of their bed as they napped and I knew exactly what he was doing. He was talking to his Father about his grandkids.
This was a huge reminder to me that we can voice prayers all day long for our children to hear, but it is truly the way we treat them and others, the way we react to difficult situations, the forgiveness that we show, the grace we extend, the kindness in our hearts that will let them know that we are a true friend of the Father.
Prayer is an invitation to be transported into the presence of the One who loves us and longs for us to allow His transformative power to work in our lives. Grasping the importance of quietly listening for Him to speak is a gift I would love to give all of you… in fact I would love to have a better handle on it, myself. Sometimes I feel guilty because I fall asleep talking to him; but I suppose that is better than not meeting with Him because I am too tired.
I am not an expert on prayer. Far from it! But I know there is power in connecting with the Maker of all things good. It is not just giving Him my list of needs, but time to be in His presence and sit quietly as He speaks to my spirit, allowing me the realization that I am the one He loved so much that He made a sacrifice I don’t even begin to grasp. Prayer is a gift you can give to your kids simply by allowing them to see just how important it is in your life.

When you are busy talking to your kids about God,

don’t forget the importance of talking to God about your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment