Thursday, November 20, 2014

Getting Fit

“If you do what you’ve always done, you get what you always got.” If you are struggling, as one who has decided to follow Jesus, to be filled with grace and humility, compassion and kindness, gentleness and patience… join the club! We all struggle, but there is a way to victory. God In US! Think of this analogy…

We have had a wii fit  for 3-4 years. We have enjoyed it from time to time, but mostly it has been unused… until recently when I made a commitment to pull it out and insert the exercise dvd and use it 5 days a week to improve my health and fitness. Every morning I get to choose whether or not I am going to stick with my commitment or sleep that extra half hour. That decision determines how rapidly I will see my goals met.

Liken that to our walk with God. When we decide to become a follower of God, the Spirit of God makes His home within us. As He coaches and directs us, we begin to morph into His likeness, reflecting His goodness… when we follow His lead. It isn’t an automatic thing. Every moment we have a choice to either submit to him shaping us and making us healthy and fit in our inner spirit OR continuing to live and act as we always have. If we say we are following, yet are not a reflection of him, it is like having the best exercise equipment and using it for a clothing rack.

When our commitment to following God is weak, what is the benefit of being a follower of Jesus? If we aren’t willing to walk with Him in the details of our lives, our lives will not change.  The mature believer learns that in order to be transformed by the Spirit of God, we must listen and obey. It is not what we can do to be good. It is what we allow Him to do in and through us that changes us.

It is not easy to let go of the anxiety that drives us to negative behavior, or the anger that seems to be etched into our DNA, or the habits that have been established over the years.  It can be a difficult thing to let go of the reins and allow God to steer us on to a better place. Trust me, these exercises are not easy for me. It is not natural for me to get up and work out. But I know what I want and I know that if I continue to do what I have always done I will continue to be unhealthy, unfit and overweight.

If you are ready to reflect the goodness of God in your life so that even your family can see that it is good to follow Jesus, it’s time to listen and obey that inner voice that wants you to be transformed so you can achieve the purpose for which you were created. He will, if we allow him, change you and others will see the evidence of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control in your life.

Want to raise godly kids? Let them see God in YOU!

“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly
as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom…”

Colossians 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment