Thursday, August 28, 2014

Legacy

There are all kinds of legacies. There are bad legacies, good legacies and lasting legacies. When we walk through life, blindly unaware of the impact we have on others as we strive for happiness and fulfillment, we are centering on self and leaving a legacy of Narcissism. There are “heroes” who have left a legacy of generosity, genius, compassion and all sorts of good things who did so in a spiritual void. Jesus was not a part of their journey. They were just good people. They left a good legacy.

I want to leave a lasting legacy of eternal significance. The kind of legacy that makes “me” invisible so that others see only the reflection of Christ. That’s a tall order and I know that it is a destination I cannot reach, no matter how hard I paddle. I must instead trim my sails to catch the breath of God speaking to my heart and surrender to the gentle breeze or gusting wind He will send to get me back on the proper course.

If we are to impress upon others the beautiful urgency and exciting adventure of following God, we must realize that we have been set free from the need to follow our own path and have been liberated to walk unashamedly, in complete surrender, with Jesus on a glorious journey toward the purpose He created for us.  Some days I fail. You will, too. But each day is a new opportunity to allow God to chart your course toward the legacy upon which He has already inscribed your name.

“For we are God’s masterpiece.
He created us anew in Christ Jesus
 so that we can do the good things
He planned for us long ago.”

Ephesians 2:10 (nlt)

No comments:

Post a Comment