Thursday, September 10, 2020

All In


Keeping in mind that kids are constantly observing, but not always interpreting what they see and hear accurately, suppose I asked your kids, what is the most important commitment in the life of your parents? In what area would you say they are "all in." What do you see them doing, without fail, on a regular basis? If taken away, what would be the most upsetting activity to lose? How do you suppose they would respond? Reading their Bible/Devotional? Mom's morning coffee? Dad's beer after work? Sunday worship? A cleaning ritual? Teaching us what it means to be like Jesus? Impressing other people by the way we look and behave? A hobby? Working out? Social Media? Family time doing fun things? Climbing the corporate ladder? Vegging in front of the TV? Attending/coaching all my sports events? Working?

Jesus taught that the most important thing we can ever commit to is loving God from the deepest part of our being. That place that others can't see, formed within us to be keep us connected to God. That place where we feel a craving, a need, a longing, a desire that begs to be filled. It is the place from which good fruit grows when good seeds are planted and cultivated. Fruit that can sustain you and your family during difficult times. Like, let's say.... a pandemic. Has your love and commitment to Jesus been demonstrated in your reaction to the pandemic? Have you demonstrated grace or criticism? Have you experienced spiritual growth and a closer walk with Jesus? Has it brought out your political claws, your judgment of others, your fears? Have you found yourself showing patience and love to others, no matter which side of an issue they land on?

Loving God with all your heart was commanded by God in the beginning because He knew that was the very cure for all the "infections" a broken world would bring. When we discover that we aren't really "all in" in our commitment to love Him, we need to take a look at what might have taken up residence on the throne in our heart that was designed for Him and get rid of that false god. We need the Creator of our life there so our growth can continue and our love for Him can flourish. 

Let's be real. We are all pulled a hundred directions at once, and everything looks important to us. What is it that has your primary attention? Upon what foundation are all your important decisions based? If we love God with all we have, then all those other things will fall into place or fall away. I want to get it right. I want God to be first in my life and I want that to be reflected in all my decisions. The lasting memory I want my kids and grand kids to have of me is that I was "all in" for Jesus and without Him, I was nothing at all. As my Dad said, "The message at my funeral is not my valor and accomplishments, but God's love and grace." He had learned the meaning of being "all in" in his relationship with Jesus. May it be so of us, as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment