Thursday, May 28, 2020

Brand New


One year for my birthday I asked Dana to spend a Saturday with me "junk" shopping. I love to find old things and give them new purpose. But.... they must serve a purpose other than to collect dust. When there is a purpose for something old, it's like it has been given new life. A galvanized pail becomes a planter, an old pitcher hides my stash of chocolate chips, a cranberry glass cookie/candy jar stores the coffee. It doesn't become new, but it is given new purpose, which makes it like new. 

I believe that this desire that I have carries on into my calling, my vocation, my ministry. I love watching old scars begin to heal as bitterness and anger are washed away, leaving a fresh sheen of forgiveness; old arguments get recycled into new perspectives; marriages take on new life and passion returns. All of this because the One who made us never loses sight of the reason He did so. Each one of us has a purpose and sometimes we get on the wrong path and it takes us longer to get there, but the One who made all things good is in the business of making all things new again, 

It seems, during the quarantine and social isolation, many have taken to clearing out the clutter and making the house look newer and fresher and more efficiently run. Perhaps you might take a look inside at some attitudes and hurts that need to be eliminated. Your heart will be made fresh again, as relationships heal.Your life will be more meaningful as old habits are recycled into new patterns. A word of caution: Don't try this alone. There is plenty of your own "elbow grease" to invest but having a Godly mentor, life coach, or counselor on the other end of the saw sure does make it easier to cut through the issues. 

Most importantly, you need to know that in this transformation, the real and lasting change only lasts a moment at a time and requires that we hold tightly to the hand of the Great Repurposer. He is the only one that can truly make your marriage new; your relationships new; your habits new. He is the One who knows exactly why you are here, so why not give Him a chance to show you and direct your steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment