Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Thankful



Sunday the Pastor challenged us to tell the story of someone who has made your life better. What a wonderful Thanksgiving tradition to begin. My list of people who have blessed and enriched my life is so incredibly long that it would exceed the maximum word limits for this blog! But, you know who you are and you know I love you so much for just being YOU!

The person whose story I want to tell in this blog is my husband. I feel like you need to know a bit of our back story, because as I tell you all the reasons my life is better because of Dana, you may think I am “lucky” or we are “unique” or that we “married well.” Truthfully, we have been a mess, lost and basically dumb!  We dated all through my high school years. It was a rocky, immature relationship. We got married too young. Kids came before we were financially prepared (or prepared in just about any possible way). He was selfish. I was passive aggressive and manipulative. We were both awful at communication. Neither of us had a shining example of what marriage should look like, but we both wanted something that resembled happily every after. We had a lot to learn, and we did, primarily by trial and error… emphasis on error! We knew more of what NOT to do than what we should do. So, we plugged away, through tears and laughter. There were times when I just wanted to walk away, but we stuck it out and grew in many ways.

Fast forward 46 years from that first date… and I can say that I am blessed so much more than I deserve by the man that has learned to love me so well. Dana is a fixer. Especially of mechanical things. He can fix anything! We seldom have to call a repair man. It make sense to him, as if there was a blueprint in his head of things he has never seen before. I, however, am not a mechanical object. Almost five decades later, he is still searching for the blueprint in his head to tell him how to fix what is hurting or frustrated in me. And, I am a woman so that’s pretty much a moving target! Because he can’t “fix” me, he will often wait silently for me to process enough to be able to tell him what I think I need. I once read his silence as indifference. But, his love and dedication to me have taught me otherwise. He will never be gushy romantic who reads my mind and has the right words written in the sky for me. And that’s fine with me because I know that whatever I need, he will do his best to provide it… if I can find a way to tell him what it is.

I am so very thankful to have a husband who consistently puts my needs ahead of his (just as soon as he figures out what they are) and who helps me grow into a better person. If he always met my needs immediately, I would never have learned to communicate.

I am thankful to have the companionship of a man who will, on occasion, switch from a football game to a Hallmark Movie and snuggle on the love seat with me.

I am thankful to have a man that is willing to work extra hard in a cold garage to fix things rather than take money out of savings to pay someone else to do it.

I am thankful to be with a man who left a substantial income, successfully climbing the corporate ladder to follow the call of God and do something that gave him more time with his family and made an eternal difference in the lives of others.

I am thankful to have a husband that can change a diaper, wash dishes, run a vacuum and make the coffee every morning and never complain about it.

I am thankful to have a husband who partners with me in ministry and is (in my opinion) the most gracious, warm and welcoming man at Mill Creek, even though he is truly an introvert!

I am thankful that my guy believes in me and gives me courage to do what I would never attempt to do on my own… like travel alone to Australia for a 3 month mission trip or let people see my artwork (truly both of those things are equally terrifying to me).

I am thankful for a man that affirms me. He seldom tells me I am amazing or strong or good, but his goodness to me has been such a constant that I have learned to read between the lines and find the affirmation that I need. And, when I can’t find it, I have learned that it is okay to ask and he will reassure me that I am enough.

I am thankful for Dana Brady, not because he always gets it right, but because he knows the value of allowing God to transform us into a new creation. He knows that there is more than one way to see things and he is willing to let God’s transforming power alter the way he thinks; the way he sees others; the way he finds truth; the way he loves.

This blog post is already too long so I dare not continue to tell more of his wonderful attributes, but please know, if your marriage is less than ideal, that there is something for which you can be thankful… even if it is a deficiency in them that helps you become a stronger, better person. Look for the good. It’s there!

I love you, Dana Brady, and am so thankful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment