Wednesday, August 14, 2019

A Bedtime Prayer

08132019 Bringing it home

There is a picture from my childhood of a shepherd holding a lamb, which I later came to see as a metaphorical image of Jesus and me… or you. The lamb is small and needy and defenseless and the care giver looks down at it as if that lamb is all that matters in His entire world.

JESUS HOLDING A LITTLE LAMB 8X10 PHOTO PICTURE CHRISTIAN ART

That picture became my view of Jesus; filled with compassionate strength and the safe place I needed to find myself in order to make it in life. It is for that reason that I love the picture I see and the sentiment I feel each time I read or recite Psalm 23. It tells us, not only of the gracious protection of the Good Shepherd, but also helps us see ourselves as He sees us. We are easy prey for the hungry predator and we are in need of guidance if we are to make it from this life to the next unscathed.

I can think of no better passage of scripture for you to recite to your child and plant in their mind than Psalm 23 on a level they can understand….

The Lord is my shepherd. He gives me everything I need.
…so there is no need to worry about anything because He takes care of me
    He lets me lie down in fields of green grass.
He knows that I need rest so  I can relax, knowing that He chose this place for me
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He gives me what I need in the quietness of His presence
    He gives me new strength.
And I can do whatever He asks of me because He has provided all I need
He guides me in the right paths
   for the honor of his name.
When I follow His plan, He is overjoyed with my obedience
Even though I walk    through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid.
    You are with me.
Even in the dark and when I am lost or confused, I know that God is right beside me
Your shepherd’s rod and staff
    comfort me.
I can trust God to protect me with His power and direct me with His wisdom
You prepare a feast for me    right in front of my enemies.
You pour oil on my head.
It doesn’t even matter if something is scary to me, because I know God is still there giving me more than I need and lovingly and extravagantly caring for me
    My cup runs over.
I am sure that your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life.
And I will live in the house of the Lord
    forever.
You give me more than enough and You always will as I live my life with You and for You.

Praying scripture over your family is a great practice. They don't need to hear God's Word spoken at church once a week nearly as much as they need to hear it spoken from your lips multiple times a day. Kids are often fearful. Life is big and there are many unknowns that rattle them. You can bring them the comfort of the Good Shepherd by praying Psalm 23 with them every night to remind them that they are a precious lamb in need of a shepherd... and so are you!
Make sure they know that being a grown-up doesn't mean we stop needing our Shepherd to guide us. Every. Single. Day.







No comments:

Post a Comment