Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Dealing With Hearts And Fears



“Do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10

Scripture tells us (Ephesians 1:20) that God raised Jesus from the dead and seated Him at His right hand. Picture Jesus’ left arm linked in the right arm of your Creator and Jesus’ right arm wrapped around you. That is the picture in my mind as I ponder this verse in Isaiah. How can anything bring fear to me if I keep that vision in the forefront of my thoughts?

Tomorrow morning I will be having a cardiac ablation. This is a routine procedure for a doctor that specializes in the electrophysiology of the heart. For me, the one laying there for hours in a semi-conscious state while the cardiologist drives a camera around my heart looking for the reason for the crazy rhythm, it is not quite so routine. I can honestly say, that I haven’t been afraid. Partially because this cardiologist is amazing and has done this procedure a gazillion times. Partially because I am over the exhaustion that comes from my heart running sprints and marathons without benefit of a single calorie burned. But, mostly because I can feel Jesus arm around me. I know that my life is in His hands, every single day, with or without a trip to the hospital.

It is good to feel the peace that takes away the fear of this world. Pass that peace on to your kids by assuring them that Jesus is there right beside them, all the time. Telling them, or even showing them that there are no monsters under the bed, will not destroy the image in their mind that will reappear as soon as you leave the room. Explaining that their fears are irrational will not suddenly turn them into rational thinkers. And, most certainly, telling them to grow up and stop being a baby will only give them a false expectation that adults are never afraid. You and I both know that isn’t true!

Sing and play music that will remind them of God’s presence and love. Teach them Isaiah 41:10 and other verses that tell us that we are never outside of His sight. Build their courage by telling them of times when God has brought you through scary circumstances and made you brave. Be their cheerleader when they show courage and try new things. Walk beside them in the scary places. Resist the urge to protect them from all things frightening, because in doing so, they never develop their own courage. You may, unintentionally, be confirming their reason to be afraid of the noisy vacuum that is actually harmless, if you react to their fears by never vacuuming. Other health risks may also occur (wink). However, you must use good judgment in protecting them from the fearsome things that they are too young to witness or experience.

Be strong. Be courageous. Be diligent to pass that on to your kids. Help them to find the brave that they will need when you aren’t there. Never fail to remind them that their Creator sees all and, no matter how scary life may feel, He is right there giving them the strength and courage they need to make it through… even if a camera is driving around your heart preparing to fire on the enemy. God’s got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment