Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Happy New You!

A new year. A clean slate. Where do I begin? Perhaps you are asking those same questions. We all hope for a better year, but what will we do to make it happen?

In 2017 my husband and I both spent time in the hospital. That is something I would like to eliminate from 2018. We all have some degree of control over our health and should do all we can to care properly for our bodies. But, there are some things that are out of our control. What can you do to better honor the body God has given you so that you will be able to do what he planned for you before you were even born?

In 2017 our youngest son went through a very difficult time and was too far away for us to be with him. As much as I wanted to, I realize there is no way that any of us can take the pain from someone and shoulder it ourselves. We can, however, be there to listen and encourage and pray for them as they walk through the valley. Are there ways you can walk alongside a friend during their struggles? Can you allow the Light to shine from you to direct them along the way?

In 2017 my mother was taken to the hospital with what appeared to be stomach flu and in a week she was gone. The grief over that loss is still fresh and painful. I cannot bring her back, nor would she want to return to her broken body, but I have learned much about life through her passing that I hope will make me a better person in 2018 than I was in 2017.  For one thing, you can never love someone too much or tell them too many times that you love them. There isn’t a limit on kindness and forgiveness and gentleness that one should extend to others.  For another thing, it is always good to listen with your heart. The things we hear don’t always carry the intended message. Give people the benefit of the doubt and allow them to explain rather than jumping to conclusions. In many ways, I am gaining more understanding of and appreciation for my mother since she has passed. She is still teaching me. I would love to live my life in such a way that people will learn from me while I am here on this earth, as well as when I go to my final reward.

I am not fond of resolutions at the beginning of the year. I tend to find things all 12 months that I need to start or stop doing or saying or feeling. Typically these things are learned in the darkest hours. In the trials. In the challenging circumstances. I hope that your 2018 is filled with laughter and joy… but in retrospect I know that you will grow more in the struggles, so I must wish you a few of those, as well.

As a parent, there will be laughter and there will be pain. You have to grow and learn something new with every stage of development your kids encounter. Adults change, too, so your marriage is evolving and you should be learning to love better in the place you currently are, rather than doing the same things you have always done. Things at work tend to change as well. Will you embrace it and learn and grow or grumble all the way though it?

I guess what I am trying to say is that we really mustn’t curse the darkness, but use it to find the Light. Without those difficult times, we tend to think we have things under control and the truth is, very little is ever in our control. Just when we have something mastered, another thing arises. Nothing truly remains the same throughout our life. Except for God. Because of that, it is imperative that those who desire to follow God’s perfect will, must stay connected to Him.  That is my 2018 prayer for you. Connect with God in new and real ways. Let Him make you a new person. Here are some suggestions to make that happen.

Be in the Word. Learn with another follower. Let His truth transform you (Romans 12)

Surround yourself with people who make you a better person.

Be a person who prays. Talk to Him and listen with your heart. Say the Lord’s Prayer daily and meditate upon its meaning.

Let praise and thankfulness always be in your heart.



Happy New You!

No comments:

Post a Comment