Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Seeing the Light

We had three of our grandkids with us Sunday morning and as we drove to church, the sun rise was noted by all of them. “It looks like a rainbow sunrise. I can see all the colors of the rainbow in it!” they exclaimed. Coming off of a week of vacation I was immersed in concerns of what I may have forgotten to do before I left, so I hadn’t even noticed, but the excitement in the backseat caught my attention and I looked to the horizon and saw what the delight was all about. I couldn’t help but think about how I was missing the beauty of His light as I sat in the darkness. But, truly the darkness was being overcome by the light… by the promise of God as prophesied by Isaiah, six centuries before Jesus came as the Light of the world.  “For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine” (Isaiah 9:2).

The Light is Jesus. God in the flesh, who left heaven to come show us the way back to the One who made us to reflect His light. He made Himself known and made it abundantly clear that He is the Light that would dispel the darkness, yet we continue to stumble in the dark. Why is that? Why do we not see and reflect the light of God? Perhaps we simply aren’t looking in the right direction and we need to hear some joyful children reminding us of the Mighty God prophesied by Isaiah.

It is a busy time of year in homes all across America. Baking. Decorating. Concerts. Visits. Shopping. Wrapping. Parties. Life is just different in December than any other month… yet much the same. There is still laundry and dishes, menus and meal prep, homework and headaches, work and swim meets and basketball games. So, we are doubly busy and the joy is rapidly sucked right out of us as we charge, full speed ahead. Is there a remedy for December overload?

Isaiah went on to say of Jesus that, “He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God…” (Isaiah 9:6). Maybe we don’t see Him entirely that way. If He is truly a wonderful counselor, should we not be transparent and completely honest with him about where we are and what is going on in our lives? If he is a wonderful counselor, would we not take the time to listen to what he has to say and heed his advice? Maybe, instead, we simply see him as a sounding board to receive our complaints and don’t care to listen to his wise counsel because, all along we have been making the decisions that have our lives in a flurry of craziness.

What does your home look like this holiday season? What is the focus of your conversations? Will your children learn of the Wonderful Counselor and Mighty God that came from heaven to show us the way to live in His light? Or will they simply see you stressed and overwhelmed with all the extra activities of the season and the darkness that is closing in around you? I am glad that I don't have kids under my roof watching me this year... or last. I am as guilty as anyone of taking on so many good and wonderful things that I end up crazy busy and missing the joy I should be feeling over the best gift of all time.

Dear, loving, hard working, well meaning, excellent parents,
Know that I am saying a prayer for you tonight and will do so many times this month. I am praying that you will have the strength and wisdom to say NO a few times so that you can say YES to the best things about Christmas. I pray that you will take those precious children God has entrusted to you beyond the sparkle and excitement of the bearded man in red, and even beyond the babe in the manger. Help them to see the Mighty God that we can never comprehend… especially when our focus is so narrow that we forget He is the Master, the Creator, the One who put all things in order and made each of us to be a part of that miraculous plan. Magnify Him so that they catch a glimpse of the Wonderful Counselor  who loves them enough to listen to them; to bring them into His presence and guide them with His light and His love. I pray that you will let them know He created them to walk in His light so they can find fulfillment in His plan for their lives. Bring the LIGHT of Jesus into your home this Christmas, and let go of anything that keeps you from doing so. And know that I am praying for you to find peace and joy as the days bring us closer and closer to Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment