Wednesday, August 24, 2016

How's Your Connection?

I am not a very tech savvy person. I don’t begin to understand the concept of a 4g network or how my proximity to a cell tower impacts my ability to carry on a conversation on my phone. All I know is that when I am talking to someone on the phone I have to have at least 3 towers in order to understand well what they are telling me and for them to hear my response. When that doesn’t happen, we accomplish nothing that we are trying to do or to communicate. 

When we are raising our kids in a godly manner, as I have stated in previous blogs, we are to be disciples that are making disciples right in our home. In order to be a disciple, I MUST be connected to God. I need a good connection so that there is open communication. I have to be in the Word learning who He is and about His plan. I have to spend time in meditation, listening for His Spirit to guide my decisions and my thoughts. I have to communicate with Him in prayer. If I am not doing all that I can to make that connection, then I am not going to be a good disciple and really not going to be making good disciples of my children.

At Mill Creek Church, our mission is to build disciples by helping them connect to God, people, purpose and compassion. I think this same process can be a roadmap for you as you disciple your children. But first and foremost, you must be connected to God. And, if you have a good connection with Him, you will find that you have begun to (1) connect to people… (2) to purpose…  (3) to compassion.  So as you commit to raising your kids in a godly home environment where they will find their way to God, maybe you can measure your connection to God by looking at those connections.
·         To whom are you most connected? Are your closest friends growing in their faith? Is their relationship with Jesus important to them? Are they helping you to be a better follower of Jesus? Are you helping them grow in their faith?
·         What is your purpose? There is more to life than going to work and trying to make it til payday. You have been given gifts and passions. How are you using them for God? Are you helping your kids find ways that they can use their gifts and passions to bring glory to God … or to themselves?
·         How do you measure up in the area of compassion? Where are you making sacrifices for those less fortunate? Do you have time to listen to those who need you? How are you serving with your family?

I have a very strong feeling that if your kids are not seeing you connecting and growing with other people of faith; if they are not seeing you use your gifts and talents for Jesus and His plan; if they are not seeing you reaching out and showing them how to minister to those less fortunate… they are not seeing that you are connected to God.

Connection to God doesn’t mean going to church.
Connection to God doesn’t mean you are a fan of Him.
Connection to God doesn’t mean that you have a sound moral compass.
Connection to God doesn’t mean that you have a few Bibles on the shelf that come down occasionally.


If you have a good connection, true communication happens. There is a strong understanding of God leading you. There is evidence of you following Him. A good connection with God will never leave you content with being the Sunday Christian that comes and does the church thing but is never transformed into the likeness of Christ. Connection with God means that you are becoming His disciple. Connection with God means that you are making disciples.

Get connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment