Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Greatest Love

As one who has been ministering to children for a number of years I have grown accustom to breaking down scripture into nuggets of truth that a child can grasp and then find ways to apply those truths to their lives. When it comes to the story of Easter, I struggle to even grasp it myself. I have heard the story all my life. I know about the Passover and the palm branches. I know about Judas and Gethsemane. I know about Pilate and Herod. I know about the beatings and the betrayals. I can explain what a child needs to know about these things so they understand, in their own childish way.

Here is where I struggle. The entire basis of the Christian faith is the Cross. The sacrifice of God incarnate (God in flesh) is our saving grace. I can tell about it just like the Bible records it. I can even sound a bit pastoral. The problem is, I don’t understand it. I cannot comprehend a love so great that such a sacrifice would be made. It’s not that I don’t understand sacrifice. I know giving up the carpet you need so that your kid can have braces or giving up a good job to be a stay at home mom. I can relate to sacrificing a nice car so that you can find your way out of debt. I know the sacrifice of giving up your vacation to help those in need. All of that makes sense to me. What I don’t get is that the God of the universe…. the One who holds the power to create and destroy all things… willingly allowing mere humans to disregard and disrespect His deity to the point of perpetrating His excruciating and demoralizing murder. He allowed Himself to be the victim after He willingly left heaven to take on flesh so He could reconcile God and humanity…. I just can’t wrap my mind around that.

Would we not break off a relationship with those who do so much less against us? Wouldn’t we walk away and think well of ourselves for not allowing someone to walk all over us? Here is our Creator and our Redeemer, who had the power to change the whole plan of salvation, yet he stayed the course and brought about the plan that was always in place to purchase our pardon. Why? Well, the only reason anyone would submit themselves to such cruelty for the sake of all is LOVE… but not just a love that we feel for our kids or our sweetheart… a love that we cannot begin to grasp.

Why would He do that for me? Why not just change it up a bit, sprinkle everyone with forgiveness dust and call it square? Because of LOVE. Love was never intended to take the easy way out. LOVE requires a sacrifice. In your marriage, if you truly love… you make sacrifices for your spouse. As a parent, your love causes you to make sacrifices for your children. As our parents age, we make sacrifices for them.


This Easter, take a good look at the Story of God’s inexplicable love for you. Draw closer to the One who didn’t have to give anything, but chose to give everything. Let that unfathomable love overtake you. Allow it to seep in to your mind and spirit and accept what is impossible to understand in your finite mind. Grab hold of the love that reconciles you to your Savior and commit to walking in His love until He takes you home.

No comments:

Post a Comment