Wednesday, March 4, 2015

What Do You Cherish?

When we think of the things we cherish it is common to think of family; kids, parents, cousins, grandparents, grandchildren. We value them because of the relationship we have with them and the memories we have made together. We also cherish “things” like relics from previous generations, an heirloom, a gift or something for which we have scrimped and saved for a long time to purchase. A wedding ring makes the list because of its value, both monetary and because of the sentiment of a forever commitment.

I cherish my photographs. They mean so much to me because they chronical a good life. I love to look at them and remember growing up in a different era, being loved and cared for, raising a family, enjoying my grandkids. They bring joy to my heart each time I look through them. However, if you came to my house to take a trip down memory lane with me you wouldn’t get the picture that I cherish my pictures because most of them haven’t been properly placed in an album or scrapbook to browse… they are in a couple of cardboard boxes in my basement.

My confession is simply to make a point. It is entirely probable that most of us would say we cherish important relationships or things, but our life doesn’t back up that claim.  If you cherish your health, you would take care of it with proper nutrition and exercise.  If you cherish your spouse you wouldn’t allow anger and resentment to build its home where love should abide. If you cherish your children, you wouldn’t let activities of this life rob you of time to teach them how to find and walk with Jesus through eternity. If you cherish your relationship with Jesus, are you proving that by walking with Him even when it means you have to walk away from something or someone that is pulling you away from Him?

We would never admit that we cherish ugly things like revenge, bitterness, unhealthy habits, a bad temper, gluttony, an unforgiving spirit, lack of self-control, impatience…  However, on a day to day basis, that is often what is reflected in our lives.  If we don’t cherish such things, why do we allow them to take up space; to live in our hearts in the place where we have invited Jesus to live?

Take inventory; see what is on the throne ruling your thoughts and actions. Is it really your relationship with God that motivates your decisions or is it time to clean house and remove the foolishness and pride and give the throne back to God?

“I cried out to him with my mouth: his praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;
but, God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer.
Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!”

Psalm 66:18 nlt

No comments:

Post a Comment