Thursday, October 30, 2014

Tell Them Why We Say Thank You

Teaching your child to be truly grateful is much more than teaching them to say “thank you.” While listening to Sunday’s sermon on Gratitude, I had an epiphany. When I think of all the times I have made that command to a child without explaining to them what it means to really be grateful, well, it’s rather embarrassing. Sometimes I wish I could have a “do over” but then I regain consciousness, remember that it is much more fun to be a Gramma and realize I would rather just tell YOU all these things that I am learning so you will be a better parent than I!

In George Barna’s book, “Revolutionary Parenting,” he states:
“Kids are not always logical, but they expect their parents to have logical reasons for everything they do. Parents are not obligated to share that logic with their youngsters, but the extraordinary parents we interviewed noted that they typically included an explanation along with their commands so that the children felt that there was nothing capricious being foisted upon them. “I think my children learned a lot about their faith and values by my explaining my expectations and disciplinary measures…. I think they actually developed a better spiritual sense because they could follow my logic trail and see how I was combining our faith and their behaviors.””

We don’t explain things to our kids because they are ignorant, but because they are professional learners and without teaching, a learner has a huge void within. Like little sponges they soak up all we say and they sense our unspoken attitudes. Teach them to be grateful, but teach with respect for who they are and in awe of who they will become.

Imagine a child who understands that every good thing comes from the God who made them.
Imagine them knowing that we receive gifts from the Creator of the universe.          
Imagine a child that knows the value of expressing gratitude                   
Imagine the joy of growing up knowing that God is good and is providing for us.              
Imagine learning that, even when we don’t get all we hope for, God is still providing all we need. Imagine a child that understands that others have sacrificed to give to them.
Imagine demonstrating for a child that the joy of giving surpasses the joy of receiving.
Imagine grasping the truth that God lives in our praise and a grateful heart draws God near us.


Wouldn’t that child be better equipped to sing with the Psalmist,

“Give thanks to the Lord, because He is good. His faithful love continues forever.”
  (Psalm 107:1 NIrV)

No comments:

Post a Comment